IKO Kiteboarder Program
Level 1 : Discovery
At this level, you will practise various skills on land that will transfer to the water for the next level.
- know safe wind directions and conditions for kiting
- know hazards on a spot
- set up a trainer kite
- know the use of safety systems
- Have basic flying skills with trainer kite.
- Launch and land the trainer kite with an assistant.
- Twist and untwist the lines while flying the kite.
- Walk and change directions while flying the kite.
- Know the wind window.
- Set up a 4 or 5 line kite with a full de-power system.
- Pre-flight check equipment and settings.
- In-flight check equipment and settings.
- Understand and use the international communication signals.
- Launch and land the kite to an assistant and as an assistant.
- Control the kite hooked into the harness.
- Understand the de-power system and can use the safety systems.
- Advanced flying skills with the de-power kite .
- Show full control of de-power systems in flight.
- Pull quick release and activate leash .
- Recover the bar and kite.
- Self land.
Level 2 : Intermediate
Here you will practise the skills learned in level 1, this time with full power and in the water.
Once you have these skills mastered, you will be ready to try out some water starts on the board.
- Enter and exit the water independently and safely while controlling the kite.
- Water re-launch the kite.
- First body drag downwind.
- Maintain correct kite position in the wind window.
- Change direction to the left and right while body dragging.
- Recover the kite and bar in the water.
- Upwind body drag to recover board.
- Upwind body drag holding the board with one hand.
- Enter and exit at the same point while upwind body dragging.
- Know the power stroke for a water start.
- Know the safety rules and theory for water start.
- Can put the feet on the board and maintain the correct position for water start.
- Water starts in both directions and ride a short distance.
- Come to a controlled stop.
- Understand weather forecast, tidal- and wind effects.
- Determine the wind strength, direction and quality.
- Know the right of way rules.
- Know equipment set up and choice according to the weather conditions.
Level 3 : Independent
This level focuses on advanced skills that will help you achieve independence in the water.
- Control the riding speed by edging
- Consistent riding in both directions
- Consistent riding in all directions including upwind
- Ride amongst other riders and water users and respect right of way rules
- Change of direction without stopping
- Self- rescue and full pack-down in the water
- Risk assessment and awareness of the riding area
- Self launch
- Make a toe side turn
- Know the theory and the safety rules for jumping.
- Land a basic jump